Re: Career paths for technical writers (short)

Subject: Re: Career paths for technical writers (short)
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:39:20 -0700 (PDT)

I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately.

I have 10+ years in. I have some management experience
and formal management training. I have a B.A. in
English. I want to expand my salary and do more
managing. The market is tight.

I came up with three ideas:

1) Take classes and train informally. Am thinking XML
and programming VB 6/dot Net here.
2) Take formal college classes online in a technical
direction, such as a MSc in Information Technology,
Computers, or such.
3) Take formal college classes to boost my English
B.A. to an M.A. with the notion of heading towards
teaching.
4) Take an MBA--online or otherwise.

I've not decided yet. Does that help the discussion?

Cheers,

Sean

--- Karen Casemier <karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com> wrote:

> I've been thinking lately about different career
> paths for technical writers
> other than simply straight vertical movement (jr.
> writer, sr. writer,
> project lead, documentation manager, etc.). I'm
> interested in how someone
> who has done well in technical writing might advance
> their career both
> vertically and horizontally (if that makes any
> sense!) - moving not just to
> management of a documentation department, but
> getting involved in other
> areas besides straight technical writing.
>
> For example, I've been working for the same

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com