Re: Career paths for technical writers

Subject: Re: Career paths for technical writers
From: claudia -dot- sutton -at- sympatico -dot- ca
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:11:57 -0600

Karen Casemier wrote:
<< I've been thinking lately about different career paths for technical writers
other than simply straight vertical movement <snip> >>

<delurk>
I have been working as a technical communicator for about 10 years now. I
have followed the traditional career path of junior --> intermediate -->
senior writer --> doc manager, but I have also spent a lot of time doing
work that's not strictly technical writing, such as:
- instructional design
- training delivery
- user interface design
- business analysis
- project management
- management consulting

How?
By poking my nose into areas of the organization that are not strictly my
business. I ask decision makers what they're up to, determine if there are
any areas of projects to which I can contribute, and plunge in. People are
very willing to help you expand your role, but the ideas about what you
can contribute and how you plan to do so have to come from you.

Technical writers are ideally suited to branching out into other areas.
The combination of technical, analytical, problem solving and
communication skills is applicable to so many different roles that we're
often a very good fit.

Good luck,
Claudia

</delurk>

=========================
Claudia Sutton
CIBC World Markets
Business Technology Services
phone: (416) 681-4949
e-mail: claudia -dot- sutton -at- cibc -dot- ca

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com