RE: Portfolios

Subject: RE: Portfolios
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:09:05 -0700 (PDT)

It does remind me of this one time . . . interviewing
at a very large insurance company.

I met the very nice HR contact in the cafeteria. She
asked a bunch of the usual questions, had forms,
wanted to see a portfolio, and after figuring out I
was probably not a bell-tower sniper, passed me on the
one of the two leads for the project.

That was in a conference room with no Internet access.
She was eager to see the portfolio and samples and
grilled me in detail about my experience from the age
of one on up to the present day. It was rigorous.

Then, presumably cos that went well, I was passed on
to the second project guru--in her cube. She had me
wait while she did stuff and then said, "You work for
<my current employer that I was looking to leave>. I
applied there but they were rude and turned me down.
So, tell me about yourself . . .." Mentally, I was
past that point in the interview process and it went
downhill from there, and pretty quickly too. She never
asked for a portfolio and I never offered.

So, yeah, I suppose sometimes they don't ask. I still
argue its a lack of interviewing skill on the
interviewer's part. <g>

Oh, and one other point: my HTMLs and PDFs (or subsets
of the larger ones) are on CD as well, in case there's
no Internet connection available . . ..

Cheers,

Sean

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

> Goober...you can do all of this, and still have a
> portfolio. > -----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968
presidential
> campaign
>

> > Interviewer: "Cool. Can you show me a sample of
> what
> > you've done?"
> > Goober: "Sure. Go to this website and click Help.
> But,
> > this really wouldn't fit your needs well. I've
> been
> > reading up on your product line and given your

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com