Re: Humor(?): Font fondlers, rejoice!--a brief rant

Subject: Re: Humor(?): Font fondlers, rejoice!--a brief rant
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:11:08 +0200

But from what I read from the article,
I am still unconvinced that the "persona" one attributes to a font is as
significant as the readability of the font.

Has anybody claimed that it was? But there is a wide selection of fonts with good readability, so 'persona' might still be interesting for choosing between them. After all "not as significant" is different from "completely insignificant".

On top of that, I think that if
a document is either technically inaccurate or is poorly written would have
a much more significant impact on a reader than the psychological impact of
a font.

Sure. But who said that this is an either/or thing?

OK. Font choice is not irrelevant. And maybe that's interesting to know
whether or not Helvetica is perceived as masculine for feminine. But how
does that affect my technical writing?

It doesn't. But it might help you when you have to do a layout yourself*.

How does knowing that make me a
better communicator? How does that improve the way I can explain a complex
technical subject? How does that improve my understanding of my topics?

See above. It is only relevant when you have to create templates.

Regards
Jan Henning

* Then again, it might not - all legible fonts may turn out to have a very similar 'persona'. But we won't know until somebody has checked, will we?

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com