Re: A suspected can of worms

Subject: Re: A suspected can of worms
From: "Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:24:05 -0500

The school I attended (Mankato State University, now known as Minnesota
State University, Mankato) has an English degree with a concentration in
Technical Writing. This degree REQUIRES a technical minor.
http://www.english.mnsu.edu/Programs/ugprogs/bstwmaj.htm

Another option that they encourage is the English/Technical Communication
minor. However, at the time I was in school, engineering degrees had so
many required courses, you could not get a minor along with them (I could
not confirm that today in a brief search of their online catalog, though).
If you wanted an additional credential(s), you had to complete additional
majors. So with engineering degrees, a person could double major in an
Engineering discipline AND English with a concentration in Technical
Communications. Other science degrees like Chemistry and Biology could
include the English/Tech Comm. minor.

Lisa B.

~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~
Lisa Bronson
Associate Technical Writer
Evergreen Packaging Equipment
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
319-399-3239
~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~

"They say the seeds of what we will do are in all of us, but it always
seemed to me that in those who make jokes in life the seeds are covered
with better soil and with a higher grade of manure." -- Ernest Hemingway

|---------+---------------------------------------->
| | "Finch, D Ted" |
| | <dtfinch -at- sandia -dot- gov> |
| | Sent by: |
| | bounce-techwr-l-121129 -at- lists -dot- |
| | raycomm.com |
| | |
| | |
| | 06/25/2003 08:40 AM |
| | Please respond to "Finch, D |
| | Ted" |
| | |
|---------+---------------------------------------->
| |
| To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com> |
| cc: (bcc: Lisa Bronson/Beverage Packaging/IPAPER) |
| Subject: A suspected can of worms |

Recently a college mentioned she felt that tech writing/comm programs
belonged in the engineering department because the understood the
"technical" while rather than the program being in an English department.
guess she suspected that English professors wouldn't understand the
"technical" part.

Just wondering what you all though about this

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com