Re: A suspected can of worms

Subject: Re: A suspected can of worms
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:21:44 -0700

My technical writing course (such as it was in the 1970's) was given by the
English Dept in an engineering college, and looking back on it I think it was
a good start, considering when it happened (I would describe the focus of
the course as "how to be an engineer who can write," rather than "how to
work with engineers while writing"). But it seems to me that it was more a
matter of good curriculum planning than where the course was homebased,
as the instructor was not an engineer but an English professor, despite his
good insights into the needs of engineers, users and the product
development process.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 07:40 AM 6/25/2003 -0600, Finch, D Ted wrote:

I realize that this may be a can of worms I don't want to open, but here we
go.

Recently a college mentioned she felt that tech writing/comm programs
belonged in the engineering department because the understood the
"technical" while rather than the program being in an English department. I
guess she suspected that English professors wouldn't understand the
"technical" part.

Just wondering what you all though about this

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com