Need cross-platform screen cap assistance

Subject: Need cross-platform screen cap assistance
From: Kirsten Zerbinis <salmonzerbinis -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:40:00 -0400

I need a little help, and just like everyone else I have little time for experimentation, and no money to buy stuff.

I need to make some screen caps of software running on a Win 98 machine, and I want them to turn into TIFF files. Right now, I'm using the Print Screen command, saving big BMPs, transferring them to my PowerBook which is running OS X, and using Photoshop to crop and convert to TIFF. It's a little laborious, and I'm losing some image quality.

I have tried opening my BMPs in OS X using Preview, and then using Grab to take a picture of that, and getting my TIFF that way. Not surprisingly, that didn't work well at all.

Is there a better process I could use? Is there a good piece of shareware that would help me? I have tried to research image formats and related subjects online, but I can only seem to find material that I either too advanced for my current understanding, or too basic to tell me where I'm losing the quality.

Any help would be appreciated, on-list or off.

FYI, my final tool is PageMaker running in Classic (OS 9), and I'll be using a Print To PDF program to create my final PDFs. I don't know if you need this information to help me or not, but there you have it.

Kirsten Zerbinis
London Ontario

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com