Re: Using Acrobat 4 with Word

Subject: Re: Using Acrobat 4 with Word
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:16:36 -0400

Marguerite,

Adobe has a tech note that explains how to uninstall and reinstall PDFMaker to solve this particular problem.

HOWEVER, Acrobat 4 is no longer supported AFAIK, so proceed with extreme caution. You definitely need to have the 4.05 patch available (or a 4.05 installation disk) as well as your original installation disk (whether it was Version 3 or 4) before you even contemplate uninstalling.

If you have everything there, and if you are wide awake, whatcha wanna do is remove every instance of PDFmaker*.*, then uninstall Acrobat, reboot, log in with administrator privileges, and reinstall. If you do not have administrator privileges, either get them for yourself, or have the admin do the installation in such a way that you will be able to access it.

If you do not have all your ducks in a row before beginning, do not attempt this procedure, as you will likely have to pay the full shot for Acrobat 6 if you screw up.

Dick

Marguerite Krupp wrote:

Hmmmm. For the last month or so, I've been getting an annoying popup that
says:

"The add-in template is not valid.
(C:\...\STARTUP\PDFMaker.dot)"

I click OK, the popup goes away, and all is well (Word 2000, Windows 2000,
running on a high-powered Dell workstation). It's more of an annoyance than
anything else. My IT guy says it's a known problem with Microsoft Word. In
other words, "live with it." Since I mostly use Frame, it's not a huge deal,
but Word works well for certain things I do.

When I click Tools > Templates and Add-ins, I see that there are TWO
PDFMaker.dot templates (one for Office, and one for Word) and one
PDFMakerA.dot template, but it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I
check one, two or three of them (or any combination). I still get the
message box when I start up Word.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com