Re: a can of worms?

Subject: Re: a can of worms?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:36:52 -0700

I think this is expecting a lot of the education system. People graduating with medical, law, engineering and other degrees are
not generally immediately "employable as" professionals in their chosen fields of study, they come out with sheepskins in hand
and some basic skills, ready to become "entry level," i.e., apprentice workers in those fields. Medical graduates go on to agonizing
hospital internships, law graduates take next-to-menial jobs in public interest or other non-lucrative law firms, etc. When I got my
first job as a "Jr Engineer," I spent my first year sitting at a drafting board doing drawing revisions and acting as a walking calculator
doing the math for a more senior engineer's stress analysis. Somebody coming out of school with a degree in whatever course of
study they take to become a technical writer will be in more of less the same boat, and will not really be "employable as technical
writers" in any environment but a massive boom until they've developed some real-world experience.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 11:47 AM 6/28/2003 -0400, ASUE Tekwrytr wrote:

One point that seems to be overlooked is the answer to the question, "Is technical writing an academic discipline?" That it is profitable to the colleges and universities is a given; it attracts students (or at least it did until the job market for TWs softened), can easily be cross-wired with existing faculty from whatever department, and marketed as The Answer to a career-changers dream. The real question is, "How many of the graduates--whether from an English, Engineering, Technical Communication or other major--are actually employable as technical writers?"

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com