Re: Has anyone reviewed or edited using PDF marked up by Acrobat tools?

Subject: Re: Has anyone reviewed or edited using PDF marked up by Acrobat tools?
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:38:24 +0200

I really like getting comments in PDF. I guess that has to do with my trans-Atlantic telecommute. And I also use PDF to review other peoples' work. I actually think it works out to be superior to marking up pieces of paper. Personally, I prefer to get and send highlighted markup. That makes it clear exactly what the comment refers to. Drag to highlight, then double-click. That gives you a comment window. Highlight and window colors are configurable. Highlights are expecially clear for things like misplaced commas, typos, etc.

No, it isn't faster than making the marks with a pen, but consider this:

You get a running list of where the comments are. The paper equivalent would be post-it notes all over the draft, or those colored pieces of tape. (I have gotten both). So when you're checking over your comments, you can go straight to them, and so can the author.

If you need to make a wordy comment, it always fits - no snaking around the margins. Again, for paper you need to add yet another piece of paper (post-it note, blank page, etc.)

Delivery is instantaneous (theoretically). You can send just the comments, and not the entire PDF.

When lots of people review, you save trees. Also, the author can import all the comment files into a single instance of the draft, and deal with them all at once (assuming the reviewers deliver on time).

My 0.02EUR
--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com