Saying what we mean

Subject: Saying what we mean
From: Michael West <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:22:59 +1000

From: "Andrew Plato":

> Ooooooo, I can't slip one by you. :-)

Sure you can. The Morpheus reference went right
over my head. But I like the quote, whoever
said it.

I've been looking for, and failed to find, a
favorite quote of mine from a famous writer.
I can't even remember who the writer was,
so I'll paraphrase the quote: When you think
you've said what you mean, go back and read
it again. Chances are you haven't.

I think that is the hardest thing about technical
writing -- saying what we really mean, clearly,
concisely and without ambiguity. And half the
difficulty of doing that lies in first deciding exactly
what it is we want to say, and why.

--
Mike West
Melbourne

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com