Re: solo writer--how do you keep up, etc?

Subject: Re: solo writer--how do you keep up, etc?
From: jenny_berger -at- fairfieldresidential -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:56:26 -0500

I'm not a solo writer, but I am half of the tech writing team at my
current company.

How do I keep current with the tech writing industry? I keep a blog about
tech writing. To keep the blog fresh, I have to keep my eyes open for
things to blog about. Since the blog focuses on tech writing, I only have
to filter for things that relate to tech writing. Does this take up a lot
of time -- No. It's fun, helps me think things out, solicit feedback and
even keep myself from getting too serious about my
job/profession/vocation/etc. Plus, I enjoy the one-sided ego-boost of
self-publishing and the detox effect of being able to spout off in a
public place. I also pay attention to this list so I can keep tabs on the
issues other writers think are important. Sometimes someone comes out with
something that merits my further consideration (sometimes becoming fuel
for another blog post).

How do I advance my skills? I read a lot -- probably not as much as I
should, but much more than my friends think is good for me. Classes bore
me and I don't have the time or money to take them if my employer doesn't
pay (which almost never happens). Praise the publishing gods at O'Reilly.
I also read other blogs, tech news sites, and trade rags. Occasionally,
I'll watch the TechTV channel when they're doing something interesting
like modifying computer cases to look like Borg alcoves or building a
dream machine. In the near future, I'm going to carve out some time to
work on a couple of near-obsolete machines I'll be inheriting, so the
things I've read won't have to remain ethereal concepts for much longer. I
also pay attention to things going on at work (outside of my immediate
area) and talk to people -- sometimes I'm able to parlay the information I
get into opportunities for me to do something different that requires I
learn something new.

Jenny Berger
Technical Writer
Information Systems
Fairfield Residential

Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Sent by: bounce-techwr-l-115343 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
07/09/2003 09:49 AM
Please respond to Sean Brierley

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc:
Subject: solo writer--how do you keep up, etc?

Those of you in smaller shops, or lone writers, how do
you keep current with the tech writing industry?

How do you advance your skills and also your career,
especially in this time of reduced (or absent)
training budgets?

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com