RE: ROI tech writing strategies

Subject: RE: ROI tech writing strategies
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:26:04 -0700 (PDT)

Lordy, no, it's not a keep my job thing. <g>

I am looking to see how publications departments are
justifying, say, moving from FrameMaker to Word, or
moving to single sourcing from multisourcing, or
upgrading from Ventura Publisher 8 to 9, etc.

In my WinWriters presentation, I explained how, to
establish a new single sourcing workflow, I spent $X
on software and saved a measurable Y hrs. on labor for
Z number of projects and how, at $/hrs. for labor, and
how quickly I ballparked that change paid for itself.
I paid some mind to training and staffing and a
resulting increase in quality (or decrease in error).

But, even so, such measures are not comprehensive; one
might even call them rudimentary.

So, was looking to see how we are tracking ROI,
justifying things in terms of ROI, etc.

Cheers,

Sean

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

> Sean...it was quite a while ago...I don't even have
> the Excel that I created
> and I don't remember enough to be of any
> constructive use.
>

> I'd never go down that path if I wanted to keep my
> job...unless you are
> charging for the deliverable, you'll never come out
> ahead.

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com