Acrobat Catalog - Files and Filenames

Subject: Acrobat Catalog - Files and Filenames
From: Andy McAleer <andy -dot- mcaleer -at- eu -dot- citrix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:59:56 +0100

A couple of questions on Acrobat Catalog:

1. Can anyone confirm this point about how Catalog works? I've built my
index definition (PDX) file and Catalog's generated its myriad "support"
folders (assists, morgue, etc.). Am I right in thinking that, when building
a CD containing my collection of searchable PDFs, the build process must
copy all the support files on to the CD (not just the PDX file or a subset
of the support files)? These extra support files are fairly large and I want
to simplify the build process as far as possible. Does anyone have any
advice on this?

2. Filenames - the Acrobat Help suggests using both MS-DOS and ISO 9660
filenames. Any advice on using these conventions for creating trouble-free
PDF collections on CD? Do I have to rename all of my PDFs using only 8
characters? :-(
And do I really have to use uppercase filenames? :-((

Any other tips on or experiences with Cataloging are most welcome!

Andy McAleer
Lead Technical Author, Publications
Citrix Systems Ltd.
Chalfont Park House, Chalfont Park
Chalfont St. Peter
Gerrards Cross
Bucks SL9 0DZ
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 (0)1753 276 458
Fax: +44 (0)1753 276955
Email: andy -dot- mcaleer -at- eu -dot- citrix -dot- com

iForum 2003
On Demand. In Control. Right Now.

October 13 - 16, 2003
Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin
Orlando, Florida

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com