Re: Typographical treatment of GUI components

Subject: Re: Typographical treatment of GUI components
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:56:30 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com>

> I do think that in some cases we could save stumbling over
> "natural language" labels by bolding or otherwise
> distinguishing GUI elements. (Thanks for reminding me RGC.)
> In other words, I have stumbled over long GUI element names,
> trying to discover where the name ended and the discourse
> resumed.

One thing I've seen done that made it very easy to use the documentation was
bolding only menu paths and buttons, and then using a font slightly smaller
and skinner (but not scrunched so that it's too narrow). Really worked well.
Or color. Color can substitute for bold.

This is where fonts become germane to the document's purpose. I've seen really
beautifully constructed procedures that made using the documentation not only
productive, but pleasurable.

Bonnie Granat
Granat Editorial Services
http://www.editors-writers.info

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com