Re: Limiting postings -- looking at numbers

Subject: Re: Limiting postings -- looking at numbers
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:25:44 +0200

I think this proves that even with a 1 post per day limit, the affect to the
list would not be disasterous. Although it would stop 31% of the posts, only 10
list members of 136 (or 7%) would be affected by the limit. 93% would not be
hindered (on average) by the 1 per day limit.

Following this reasoning, wouldn't it be best to disallow any posting to the list? This would get rid of uncivil and other problematic posts with 100% certainty and, after all, well over 90% of the few thousand list participants did not post last week and so - according to the above reasoning - would remain totally unaffected by a total posting ban.

This conclusion is obviously absurd, so something seems to have been overlooked. I suggest this overlooked fact is that postings cannot only be harmful, they can also be helpful.

Mere counting, which by necessity cannot take into account the quality of postings, does not seem to lead to a useful solution. We have to face up to the fact that not the postings themselves are the problem but their contents is. Consequently, administrative solutions are unlikely to work as long as we do not change the way we express ourselves here.

Tinkering with the numbers won't help at all if the contents of postings don't change; if the content change, no tinkering with the numbers is necessary.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com