Re: Work-for-hire question

Subject: Re: Work-for-hire question
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:58:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Dick Margulis <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> My assumption, which I will be happy to have confirmed or
> disconfirmed, is that the intellectual property we develop belongs to
> us and that while we may license the customer to copy and circulate
> the material internally, we do not give the customer the right to
> disseminate the information elsewhere. I think this situation arises
> frequently in consulting companies and, as far as I am aware, the
> consultants always retain copyright.

I believe you are right as a general rule. Still, this sounds like
something you need legal involved in. What, if anything, does the
contract say about licensing in this situation, and equally
importantly, how can the contract wording be interpreted by each party?
That's the controlling document.

=====
Tom Murrell
--Don't argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference. (Anonymous)--
@ mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
@ http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/
@ Last Updated 05/26/2003

http://sbc.yahoo.com

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com