Re: Work-for-hire question?

Subject: Re: Work-for-hire question?
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:24:51 -0500

At 1:17 PM -0400 7/18/03, Hart, Geoff wrote:

Dick Margulis wonders: <<We have a large customer who is paying us to do
some major customization of our software for them, prepare documentation, do
training, implementation, etc. This is still OUR software that we license to
the customer... One of the customer's reviewers, looking at a draft, took
issue with our copyright notice and wondered if the copyright ought not
belong to the customer.>>

Copyright remains yours until you specifically transfer some or all of your
rights to someone else. If that's not part of the contract, then the
copyright notice should still be yours. If you do choose to transfer some of
your rights, the contract should clearly specify what responsibilities the
new owner takes on; for example, if they decide to modify your
documentation, make it clear in the contract that they take on complete
responsibility for any problems (e.g., lawsuits) related to the
documentation.

Ever look at the info box in Microsoft Internet Explorer? There is a copyright there that is not MIcrosoft's, it is for the browser engine that Microsoft licences.

Scott

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com