RE: Help with Docbook

Subject: RE: Help with Docbook
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:38:59 -0500

At 9:43 AM -0400 7/22/03, France Baril wrote:

You are asking about tools, but you have not yet defined your
process. I would suggest you start there.

If you are planning on using docbook with Framemaker, try the XML
Cookbook provided with FrameMaker. It's a guided tour to creating
XML documentation with FrameMaker and it uses docbook. As for
linking the DTD with XMetal, well, you need to link the DTD to the
XML document that you are creating, not to the tool that you are
using. Use the DOCTYPE element to create that link.

Try this link to get started with XML:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/98/10/guide0.html

An XML framework cannot be built overnight. I am building my own XML
documentation environment. It is not that difficult, but it does
take a lot of time. You have to get a bit technical, or team up with
someone who is. Since you said that you are not very technically
minded, I would suggest getting help.

France Baril
Rédactrice Technique / Technical Writer
IXIASOFT
(514) 279-4942
france -dot- baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com

I also recommend that you get "DocBook The Definitive Guide" by
Norman Walsh and Leonard Muellner. It is published by O'Reilly. I
believe that you can also find it online at O'Reilly. You may want
the paper version so you can read and markup.

I have found it very helpful to understand and visualize the
relationships in DocBook.

Scott

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com