RE: new tech writer

Subject: RE: new tech writer
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:17:26 -0400

>> For every web, there's a frontend and a backend. Why
>> is the backend being
>> overlooked? ...or am I misunderstanding a special
>> meaning in "web
>> services"?
>
>The back end is the engine of the service, that's what
>you develop in-house. Customers usually don't see
>those docs. Although, surely your back-end has a
>documented API that your internal developers use to
>access it.

But it still needs to be documented, even if it for internal developer use
and for in-house staff. Why restrict yourself to customers. As an
example...was it you who off list sent me the link to Amazon's web service
kit? That kit contained 80+ web pages of instruction.

BTW...with most services such as this, there are different levels of
customer. Example...we use the search engine from a popular service as the
engine for searching on our site. You, as a simple web consumer, can add a
plug in for that web service that installs with a click of a button...we
have over 500 pages of documentation on it.

What I'm getting at...don't trivialize the doc effort required for anything
technical. it may appear "simple", but if you dig deep enough, it interfaces
with something big somewhere.

John Posada
Special Projects; Information Technology
Barnes&Noble.com
NY: 212-414-6656

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com