Re: Screen cap and resumes

Subject: Re: Screen cap and resumes
From: "Moore, Jenna" <Jenna -dot- Moore -at- per-se -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:41:53 -0400

RE: Screen Capture Software
I'd recommend SnagIt. I have used a few other, including Superclip, but I've
been happiest with SnagIt. It is easily configured to output the file type I
want at the resolution I want without me having to make a lot of changes
afterward. When I do need to make changes afterward, I use Paint Shop Pro.
I'd recommend taking several of the programs mentioned on this list and
looking at the manufacturer's descriptions of the program. That will let you
know the capabilities of each one and you can make an educated decision
about the features you require.

Re: Resume and Cover letter
It goes without saying that more is expected of a technical writer's resume
than of other professions. As a hiring manager, I'd be looking for evidence
that you can clearly relate your skills and how they will help me. Don't be
afraid to customize your resume for each position. Try to emphasize those
skills that the particular employer wants. Demonstrate in your cover letter
how you have used this skill set successfully in the past. What most
companies want right now is two years of experience and someone who does not
need a high salary. It's a tough time to break in to the business when the
experienced writers are willing to take lower salaries to get jobs and
you're sitting there with less experience. If you customize your resume and
cover letter for each employer, you'll break through that barrier a little
bit.

The next step is follow-up. If you truly want to stand out, you have to call
that employer afterward. It's okay to email if you do not have a telephone
number. However, if you have a telephone number I would definitely call.
Most managers remember a voice or conversation much more than an email.

Regards,

Jenna Parsons Moore
Senior Technical Writer, Resource1 Publications
Per-Se Technologies
300 W. Morgan Street
Durham, NC 27701
919-564-2362

From: cor -at- techwritercor -dot- com
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:58:24 -0600

I am new to the technical communication field, having just graduated with
my B.S. in Professional and Technical Communication. My concentration was
in software documentation and web design, neither of which were graphic
intensive. So, I was wondering what the best screen capture software out
there is? I always have problems taking screen captures and then trying
to resize them (after cropping them, they come out blurry). Any
suggestions?

Subject: Resume and Cover Letter Writing for a Novice
From: cor -at- techwritercor -dot- com
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:10:35 -0600

I am a recent graduate in technical communication (B.S.). I have been
working as a web designer / technical writer at a non-profit for two years
as a co-op, but now it's time for a "real job." I graduated at the top of
my class, have some experience, think my resume and cover letters are
good, but haven't had any luck finding a job. I've probably sent out more
than 200 resumes and cover letters between Feb-present and I have only
gotten three calls back, all for temp. jobs that don't pay very much that
are out of the area.

I'm just wondering if anyone could get me some suggestions as to what
technical communication hiring managers want to see in a resume and cover
letter. Should they be plain? Should any graphical elements be included?
Should cover letters be persuasive or just present the facts?

I feel as if I'm being looked over, but I know I have what it takes to be
a successful technical writer and/or web designer! I just wish the people
looking at my resume and cover letters would see that too. Please someone
help!! Thanks!

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com