Re: Creating a Master Doc in Word

Subject: Re: Creating a Master Doc in Word
From: "Susan Salituro" <susansls -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:52:16 -1000

I have to agree. However, Master Docs are useful if you need to pull several
documents together in a hurry and they need to have continuous page
numbering. Some recommendations:
-Use the same template in your Master as in your Subdocuments, if possible,
and do not make formatting changes in the Master (sometimes they don't
propagate downward).
-Avoid doing anything in the Master if possible, except for generating your
TOC and Index, and for printing.
-Always work with all text viewing options turned on (except for field
codes). You must be able to see (and avoid) those section breaks, or you
risk accidently deleting them.

In most of the large documents I've done, I've used RD fields to create a
TOC from several individual chapters, and it works great. However, I had one
question for the list:

Is there a way to create continuous page numbering (that is, 1, 2, 3, ... to
the end) when using RD fields to pull together multiple subdocuments? In the
past, I've gotten by with using sectional page numbering (1-1, 1-2, ...,
2-1, 2-2, ...), but this doesn't work for some documents. The only thing I
can think of is to manually force each subdoc to start with the correct
number, but what if the number of pages in an earlier subdoc changes?