Re: TeX OR Lyx

Subject: Re: TeX OR Lyx
From: Peter Harkins <ph-tw -at- malaprop -dot- org>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:44:23 -0500

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 07:18:13AM -0400, Eisbruchs -at- aol -dot- com wrote:
> Does anyone have experience using TeX or Lyx?
> What are their strengths and weaknesses?

TeX is very powerful, but has a steep learning curve. LyX is a graphical
frontend to TeX/LaTeX, and it's "what you see is what you mean" rather than
"what you see is all you get". I use LyX for the documentation I produce,
and it's a great tool. The LyX community has recently jumped in size a
little with the creation of an easily-installed port to OS X (LyX is
natively a Unix/Linux application). As another poster mentioned, it can be
run on Windows with the installation of the Cygwin tools.

LyX has an excellent mailing list for users -- answers to complex questions
about how to do things usually arrive in a day at most, and the atmosphere
is friendly and supportive. http://www.lyx.org/internet/mailing.php3