Need to set global defaults for a .pdx that can be tailored by users

Subject: Need to set global defaults for a .pdx that can be tailored by users
From: "Mark Osborne" <MOsborne -at- bna -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:11:08 -0400

Hi! I know this is a pretty specialized Acrobat question,
but I've tried posting it on acrobat -at- lists -dot- blueworld -dot- com and
did not get any response. Are there any other lists you can
recommend for me to post to?

I am trying to enable 500 or so users to do full-text
searching across an online manual that consists of 200
.PDFs. The environment I work in is Solaris 2.7. I used
Adobe Catalog to generate a .pdx, but I would like to
control the appearance and behavior of the .pdx with a
.acrosrch parameters file that I have edited. The
programmers in my department are reluctant to place
individual .acrosrch files on each user's home directory
because this would require some maintenance. Each time a new
user is added to the system, our programmers would have to
update their /home with an individual copy of the .acrosrch
file. The department head would like to just have a
centralized .acrosrch that all users could use instead. Of
course, we need to set this up so that individual users who
want to change their Search settings can automatically
generate their own local .acrosrch file that overrides the
centralized one. Otherwise, each time a user changes
settings from the GUI, everyone's settings would change.
I've been asked to find out if there's a way to do this. Has
anyone had any experience with tailoring individual
parameters files from a centralized default?

Feel free to respond off line if this is too off topic for
this list.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark Osborne,
Technical Writer