RE: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: RE: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:08:50 -0400

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com suggested:

> In the end I might even be inclined to argue that the requirement for
> clearance IS fair. After all, if some one with clearance is available
> isn't it only fair to hold the job for them instead of giving it to
> someone that has yet to perform the necessary steps to get clearance
> themselves?

Are there actually workable procedures where a person
can simply request a form at the FBI (USA), RCMP/CSIS (Canada)
or other (your country, whoever you are), and the clearance
process just automatically procedes until they receive a certificate
of some sort to wave in the faces of prospective employers? Does that
process have a user fee that's manageable by an unemployed writer
or editor who's simultaneously trying to keep the family fed and
sheltered?

Isn't one of the clearance sticking points... being unemployed?

I've got SECRET at the moment, because my employer entered into
situations that carried the requirement. For the first year or
two with this company it was not an issue, then they had to
clear a bunch of us, which took many, many months to happen,
after we'd filled out the forms. When I was in the military,
I had TOPSECRET compartmentalized clearances, which were processed
by THAT employer. I don't believe I've ever met anyone (maybe
I just didn't think to ask, but I notice that nobody in this
list of many thousands has volunteered...) who had themselves
cleared, as a private person with no present need.

/kevin