Re: Another tragic case of not reading the manual

Subject: Re: Another tragic case of not reading the manual
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:42:50 -0400

Well, the health and safety guy had no excuse. Seems to me that would be
professional misconduct and/or criminal neglect not knowing the machinery
which you are supposed to protect the workers from.

As for the workers themselves, I'd have to question the labelling and
interlocks on the machine rather than the manuals. Clear warnings about
the heat danger should be in place on the door, and clear instructions on
how to safely clear jams should be displayed prominently near the door and
controls of the machine. The access panel should also be clearly indicated
from the outside so that it is easy to spot by anyone without having to be
familiar with the machine.

A preventable tragedy certainly.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer