RE: Another tragic case of not reading the manual

Subject: RE: Another tragic case of not reading the manual
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "'Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com'" <Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:36:20 -0400

Daniel...I'm not faulting your comments, I also don't think a manual is to
blame when someone crawls into an oven, I also don't think every contingency
can be anticipated, and I also do think that building in safety is an
admirable goal.

I only commented that we shouldn't be surprised at anything, including a
worker who might risk his life for minimum wage when he has 6 kids to feed
at home.

OTOH, we can talk to my brother about the Nissan 280Z he bought with the 18
grand he was awarded a few years back when he removed the safety device from
the butcher band saw with a wrench and cut off his index finger?...I guess
that says something not good.

John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
Moderator: Yahoo "Techwriter" group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techwriter/
"If you're afraid to be second-guessed, you better not make any decisions."
--Hal Sutton, America's 2004 Ryder Cup Captain

> Note that I'm only talking about this particular instance,
> and that nowhere did I say safety isn't a valuable goal in
> designing machinery or writing docs.
>
> If you read the post again, you'll see that I just said that
> in _this particular case_, where a worker entered what was
> essentially an oven, the majority of the blame in what
> happened is his. If you take that as a call for a return to a

**********************************
This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or may be
CONFIDENTIAL,
PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE,
and (b) is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein. If
you are not an
intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and take the steps
necessary to
delete the message completely from your computer system.

Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the Uniform
Electronic Transaction
Act or any other law of similar effect, absent an express statement to the
contrary,
this e-mail message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not
intended to represent
an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not otherwise
intended to bind
this sender, barnesandnoble.com llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other
person or entity.