Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?

Subject: Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Janet Vega <anutha_writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 08:05:17 -0400

Janet Vega wrote:

I hope I get a few more rounds of replies - then I
will make up my mind.

Well, okay, you talked me into it. I love semicolons; I use them wherever I can; and I use them correctly; but I nearly always avoid them in technical writing, if by technical writing you mean team-written user manuals. I do use semicolons in white papers and other expository pieces, where I can assume the reader is not looking for a quick how-to; but in user instructions, short and simple is best.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]