Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?

Subject: Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>, TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:24:31 -0400

"Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com> wrote on 08/18/2003 01:15:00 PM:

> Like cuss words, semicolons are a legitimate part of the
> English language,
> and used correctly, will go unnoticed in clear
> communications. And unlike
> cuss words, they are a tool entirely appropriate in well-
> written technical
> communication.

Shouldn't the discussion be about the reading/language skills of the USERS
and not the writers? Our job is not to defend the language or show our
grammar/punctuation skills. Our job is to clearly communicate
information/instructions to end users so they can perform task with
little/no error.

If the users will get even partially distracted, doesn't matter if the
writer is correctly using the correct grammar or punctuation. If the
information is not clearly communicated we have failed our
responsibilities.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer