Re: Support Readiness Training

Subject: Re: Support Readiness Training
From: "Rick Bishop" <BishopR -at- jcdc -dot- jobcorps -dot- org>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:23:18 -0500

Francis: So far, I haven't heard anything on the #1 issue faced by organizations that provide phone, chat, email or other direct support for their products. That is customer satisfaction and brand loyalty. I've done support group training design and feel that it reinforces the company's business plan to primarily provide support techs that can give service that the customer will tell others what a great experience they had when something broke.
I feel that support skills are: #1 is customer service, #2 is to know where to find the answer if you don't already know it, #3 is current troubleshooting strategies.
With 3 days to train, I would recommend that the first 2-3 hours of each day be spent on customer service skills training. Your incumbents could add much to the interest and interactivity of the training, and might even encourage them to take on a 'mentor' attitude toward the new hires. And forget about them having read anything except perhaps the morning paper before they show up for class. That just doesn't happen unless they are new hires and are set alone in a space with nothing else to do but read the manual while earning their pay.
Rick

>>> "Francis Anthony" <ItsFrancis -at- hotmail -dot- com> 08/18/03 09:14AM >>>

Hi,
My job profile involves developing courseware and instructional learning
material that is used to train both the global support personnel within my
firm (new hire and incumbent), as well as the support personnel of OEM's,
resellers, and partners; the objective being to arm them with information
critical for troubleshooting support calls.
<<SNIP>>