RE: Print-ready Graphics Problem

Subject: RE: Print-ready Graphics Problem
From: "Rick Bishop" <BishopR -at- jcdc -dot- jobcorps -dot- org>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:08:02 -0500

Sorry, Robert. Downsampling is not scaling.
Scaling is resizing for print and has no effect on the color sample or the resolution.
An example of downsampling would be a 24 bit jpg image to a 256 color gif with no change in size or resolution.
Rick

>>> "Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com> 08/25/03 10:21AM >>>

> That's not scaling. In fact, well, that's a topic for
> another lengthy discussion.

Downsampling is scaling. When downsampling, Distiller reduces the dimensions of the bitmap (as measured in pixels). That's scaling. Later, the PDF reader will take this reduced bitmap and stretch it to match the specified bounding box (as measured in inches), which has not changed from the original. That's scaling, too. (I wouldn't call color-space reduction
"scaling," but color-space reduction shouldn't be an issue with screen shots.)

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon
President, High-Tech Technical Writing