Testing Candidates (was: The Results)

Subject: Testing Candidates (was: The Results)
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:45:43 -0700 (PDT)

Writing tests can be "hacked" by memorized
methodology. It's too easy to BS your way through a
writing test (trust me, I've done it many times, and
(going back many years) was even "congratulated" on
successfully doing so (many times) throughout my high
school and college years.

No, writing tests just don't work well enough. Rather
than make them write for an hour, make them think for
an hour. It won't seem like work on their part (unlike
a writing test), and you can evaluate them on the fly.

Ask them questions that require them to think and draw
upon experience. Stuff like "I see you worked as a
tech writer for a software company. Tell me, how would
you handle a situation where..."

You can tell a lot about a person by watching them
think. Their mannerisms and approach to a solution
will tell you all about their "writing" abilities.
writing is nothing more than putting solution and
process to paper in an understandable manner.

Your style guide will govern how they write. You
should focus on how they think.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com