Re: Testing Candidates (was: The Results)

Subject: Re: Testing Candidates (was: The Results)
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:01:13 -0700 (PDT)

You don't like those tests where you are given a
situation to respond to in writing:

"Imagine you have to write a set of instructions to
put on button-fly jeans for someone who has never seen
pants before."

I'm sure we've all seen those kinds of tests before.
LOL!

I suppose you could present one of your own
manuals--after reviewing it yourself to see what you
think--and having the candidate review a section and
offer critique. You might also critique one of the
candidates samples, to see how they handle such
things. Look at their degree and coursework, grades,
etc. Engage in discussion about the industry, see how
interested they are. For example, "how about those PNG
screen captures, whaddaya think? JPEG better. One
space or two after a period, thoughts? FrameMaker or
Word? Ventura? Any preference. For online help, what
do you think of RoboHelp? How about database-based
solutions? Of course, no answer is inherently right or
wrong (except the FrameMaker one ;?), but the
candidate's interest in the profession should shine
through. ("Dood, like they outsourced my programming
gig to Czechoslovakia, so I think I'm, like, the best
candidate, dood. What's a FrameMaker??") Etc.

My shilling, anyway.

Cheers,

Sean

--- Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Writing tests can be "hacked" by memorized
> methodology. It's too easy to BS your way through a
> writing test (trust me, I've done it many times, and
> (going back many years) was even "congratulated" on
> successfully doing so (many times) throughout my
> high
> school and college years.
>
> No, writing tests just don't work well enough.
> Rather
> than make them write for an hour, make them think
> for
> an hour.

<snip>