Re: Hyphenation for ESL audiences?

Subject: Re: Hyphenation for ESL audiences?
From: John Cornellier <cornellier1 -at- stavanger -dot- oilfield -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:43:48 +0200

Your examples would be clearer with hyphenation, both for native speaking and ESL audiences.
Assuming it is a good idea to write for ESL, perhaps the hypenation usage would depend on the grammar of the target audience's language.
Examples:
In German, "Freeze prevention strategies" would be concatenated into one word.
In French, it would be more like "strategies for the prevention of freezing".

Our ability in English to noun verbs and vice versa is an asset as well as a liability, in that it can create ambiguity. Is "freeze" a verb or a noun? Hence the need for hyphens, or a rewrite.

John Cornellier