Re: interviews and ethics

Subject: Re: interviews and ethics
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:40:24 -0600

From: "Brautigam, Curtis" <cubrautiga -at- state -dot- pa -dot- us>

> I have always felt that the practice of some employers who post job ads
> just to collect resumes is a bit unethical.

On the flip side, how many people go to job interviews when they
are not really interested in the job? Maybe they're trying to provide
themselves with some ammunition for an upcoming salary review or
are feeling a tab bit disgruntled and decide to look around to see
what's out there. In your view is this unethical?

I would suggest that the practice of prospective employees wasting
employers' time with bogus interviews is much more likely than the
reversed situation. Surely most of us have participated in the
interview process at some point or another (on the hiring side). It is
an expensive and time-consuming endeavor, and not something
that most employers are going to do just for kicks (or just to have a
stack of resumes on their shelf).

Dana W.