Re: interviews and ethics

Subject: Re: interviews and ethics
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:57:54 -0600

On 22 Aug 2003 at 10:56, Paul Strasser wrote:

> How does one get salary review data from an interview, or several?

One does not get *salary* information from a single interview.
However, I have seen plenty of people go through the interview
process, come back with a job offer, and then essentially "hold
hostage" his/her current employer. ("I want a 15% raise or I'm taking
this other job offer.") I've seen it happen; I've seen it work to the
employee's advantage many times.

And, I've seen plenty of people who were ticked off and decided that
they were going to float a bunch of resumes just to see "what's out
there", but really had no intention of actually leaving the current
position. Really, how bad is an interview if you don't necessarily
need the job? I've even heard people say that they interview every
once in a while to keep their interview skills up!

Maybe you, personally, would never apply and interview for a job
unless you were serious, but there are plenty of people who behave
otherwise.

Dana
(who, in a previous life, was involved in the interview process a lot
more than she cared to be...)