Re: interview and ethics

Subject: Re: interview and ethics
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:30:33 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cindy Kight" <Cindy -dot- Kight -at- DataMaxGroup -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: August 25, 2003 06:17 PM

Bonnie & Gene both make excellent points regarding ethics. Clearly, they are
highly-principled individuals, each with a strong sense of right and wrong.

While I have similar standards for myself, when judging others behavior I am
inclined to give strangers the benefit of the doubt. This may just a matter
of semantics - my own attempt to classify things in degrees of 'wrongness'
(careless, rude, unethical, criminal). It's a somewhat complex personal
calculation that factors in intent and resulting harm.

I just thought the term 'unethical' was a little harsh. Personally, I reserve
that term for more serious matters.

----------------------------

I understand what you're saying, Cindy. For some of us, though, eating is
serious!

Something comes to mind now about an experience I had recently. The recruiter
and I had been talking about a job that was available and in response to his
description of it, I said something about my not being strong in that area.
What was unleashed on me is something that I wish now I had been able to blunt
before I got caught up in it. The recruiter lambasted me for expressing to him
anything negative about my abilities and chastised me for having the "wrong
attitude." I laugh now, but at the time I tried to explain to him that
ignoring areas in which my skills did not match the job requirements was a
fool's errand, but he kept arguing and arguing and eventually I just ended the
conversation. The recruiter had been a network manager at my old company, and
after a year or more of unemployment, I had run across him accidently on the
Internet (or he ran across me, I can't remember), but I severed all contact
just as suddenly.

Bonnie Granat
GRANAT EDITORIAL SERVICES
http://www.editors-writers.info