Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem

Subject: Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 06:50:12 -0700 (PDT)

> You may say this is normal, but I didn't. I would
> call it unexpected for most software users.

Why is that? Is it because you WANT it to do something
other than what it was designed to do, or that you
don't understand why it's working the way it is? There
is a big difference between an abnormal function and
user misunderstanding. If it's a part of your job, you
need to inform yourself of how it works.

> If you re-read what I wrote, you may understand the
> intent, which was to
> point out that the same program can interpret a
> screen capture in different
> ways. The capture is a capture, but placing or
> importing the file into other
> programs can yield different results.

I understand that. My point is that this difference in
how the image is handled *is* in fact expected
behavior. The application was designed to work that
way because you are performing two distinctly
different operations. YOU may think it's the same
result, but that is a misunderstanding, not abnormal
behavior.

> I hoped that the reader would investigate how Adobe
> handles screen resolution when it creates new files.

Adobe what? "Adobe" is a company that produces a wide
variety of software for many different business
purposes. Each of these applications might have a
different default means of treating graphics, because
the use cases are different. It's not about
standardizing software to work one way; you'd first
need to standardize on every PERSON working one way to
pull that off.

> I'm using this as an example of what happens when
> user makes assumptions. Do
> you think this illustrates the point?

It illustrates the point of misunderstanding, not of
abnormal behavior on part of the software.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com