extra words: unnecessary or educational?

Subject: extra words: unnecessary or educational?
From: pdenchfield -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:46:47 -0600

Maybe this is "learning theory stuff." I'm not sure how to articulate my
question.

If deleting words from a sentence doesn't change meaning, is there ever a
reason to keep them? I say yes. "Extra words" can facilitate quick
learning.

For example, I would choose paragraph A below for ease of learning--the
lengthy chunk of information is set off as a parenthetical element that
the reader can skip.

When you access the transmission program from a connected workstation, you
can transfer files from the system's hard disk to the workstation or in
the reverse direction (from workstation to hard disk).

When you access the transmission program from a connected workstation, you
can transfer files from the system's hard disk to the workstation or in
the reverse direction.

When you access the transmission program from a connected workstation, you
can transfer files from the system's hard disk to the workstation or from
the workstation to the hard disk.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your stimulating responses!

--Pamela (who checks for replies using the website but often goes for days
without checking for personal email messages)