Re: Conferences in the early 21st Century

Subject: Re: Conferences in the early 21st Century
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:28:47 -0700

<kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com> wrote in message news:210991 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> I've always wondered how people talked their employers into forking out
> thousands to send them to seminars about tools they're already supposed to
> know how to use.

Larger comprehensive conferences offer a variety of session levels, some for
beginners, some for experts. There are always new technologies to learn
about, always new discoveries about how to overcome the latest tool flaws,
bugs, and failure to support critical user needs, always new information
about the latest research (that sometimes puts our old assumptions to bed).

I'd surmise that it is pretty much only the vendor-sponsored "seminars" that
focus only on how to use tools--theirs--and they probably spend more time
selling than being informative.

Chuck Martin