Re: India - Wave of the Future?

Subject: Re: India - Wave of the Future?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 07:49:43 -0700 (PDT)

Anachie Shakespeare asked:
> After seeing what happened to manufacturing: companies
> moved to from country to country looking for cheap salaries,
> no benefits, and no environmental laws to hinder them, I
> wonder if this could happen to tech writing?

and dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com responded:
> We've beaten this subject to a pulp. If you want to see some
> truly lamentable exchanges, check the archives. Please, folks,

> let's NOT bring this up again on Techwr-L.

Please *do* bring it up again. Just keep it constructive and
follow the list rules.

While the original post was either naive or a troll (yes - all
the headlines tell you it is already happening!), I want to hear
lots of views on this subject.

In particular, I'd like to hear more from our tech-writing
friends outside the US. Speak up! Tell us your stories about
what it's like to be on the receiving end of a jobs boom - you
have been listening to us gloat for a decade.

The global movement of IT jobs is probably the biggest issue
affecting tech writers in all countries, not just the US. It's
the elephant in the room, and I'm tired of being told not to
talk about it. A tech writing forum needs to disuss the biggest
topic in tech writing.

The phenomenon of global jobshifting is already underway and is
likely a permanent feature of the tech writing profession. So
now it's time to start discussing the everyday tech writing
issues that result.

If you do check the archives, you'll find most are genuinely
curious about the topic and are perfectly capable of discussing
it intelligently. Sure there are morons who can be counted on to
throw a stinkbomb into the thread, but that's what the delete
key is for. And you know, sometimes you can even learn from a
moron.

Don't worry, there will still be plenty of bandwidth for
discussing certification, Word vs. FrameMaker, serial commas,
and 64 flavors of screen captures.

Mike O.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com