RE: India - Wave of the Future?

Subject: RE: India - Wave of the Future?
From: "Ganesh P. Kabadi" <gpkabadi -at- kanbay -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:35:20 +0530

Hi all,
Waking up from a long hibernation....

Being at the receiving end of a tech jobs boom is not all that 'a happy
situation' as it may sound. There are the impending threats like the New
Jersey Bill to contend with all the time. Of course, it feels good to be
the preferred lot, but the resentment from not-so-few quarters is not
easy to handle. I have heard and read about some incidents where Indians
had to directly bear the brunt of this resentment.

The migration of jobs to India and other countries stems from some
technically and economically sound reasons and decisions, just like the
migration of the manufacturing jobs. If, tomorrow, it didn't make
economic sense to shift jobs here, it'll stop happening. For example, it
may not be long before huge numbers of the Chinese population develop
the same or greater facility with the English language than Indians, and
if it works out cheaper, these jobs will be queuing up to China. I don't
think we can treat this as a political issue. Jobs *must* migrate.
Corporations are profit-centric, not people/race-centric. They don't
have favorites. They have their profits to maximize. It's the
governments that need the vote banks and hence need to be populists.

While it is true that Indians are tech-savvy and well-educated, a
colleague from US assures me that there really isn't a huge lack of
talent back in the US. So, it is, more or less a cost issue.

Lesson I take home? Keep your skills current and yet stay affordable :)

My two cents

Ganesh Kabadi
Technical Writer,
Business Continuity Planning,