Re: Ford and the Economy (RE: India - wave of the future?)

Subject: Re: Ford and the Economy (RE: India - wave of the future?)
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:55:02 -0700

"Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote in message
news:211626 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Quoting eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com:
>
> > I've seen this statement before. I also remember a TV documentary
claiming
> > that the reason Ford paid so much was precisely so his workers could
> > afford his products.
>
> Actually, that's putting a generous face on it. One strong motivation was
> keep the unions out. Companies are still doing that today.

Doing what? Paying high wages and providing good work conditions so that
unions are not necessary?

(Well, they were. Not anymore.)

Interesting how I can be generally pro-union, yet word in a trade (TW) and
in a field (high-tech) that has very few unions organizing its workers.
Interesting too how the pay in this trade and this field goes up and down
according to free-market swings, yet union wages generally go in just one
direction. From a societal standpoint, which is better? (Rhetoric question,
because the answer would stray too far from the list topic.)

I know the National Writers' Union seeks to organize workers in the TW
field. I've never seen such organization anywhere I've worked.

Chuck Martin