Tools: Public domain education--from the best?

Subject: Tools: Public domain education--from the best?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Cel (E-mail)" <copyediting-l -at- listserv -dot- indiana -dot- edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:37:06 -0400

[Apologies for cross-posting, but I think this will be interesting to
members of both lists:]
The DealMac newsletter (URL below), which is a great buying resource for
Macintosh owners, occasionally has a very wry sense of humor, witness the
following excerpt:

**MIT OpenCourseWare: free MIT course materials**
Ever wanted to find out if you have what it takes to get through MIT? The
Massachusetts Intstute of Technology has made select coursework available
online via its MIT OpenCourseWare program. Available topics include
Architecture, Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Electrical Engineering and
Computer Science, and more. Upgrading to full tuition costs about $41,000
more.<http://dealmac.com/newsdaily.html?article,55530>

It's the last line I find funny--last time I ever complain about Microsoft
upgrade pricing! <g> The relevant part, of course, is that many of the
subjects that MIT is offering online will be useful learning and research
tools for writers and editors. Have a look and see if you can't increase
your erudition to the point that your colleagues start treating you with
more respect!

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"I don't read literary theory anymore; it makes my brain hurt... I have way
too much time on my hands and way too little to think about. In this
respect, the laundromat is not much different from the English department
office."--Tim Morris, U of Texas English professor ("Suds", in _The American
Scholar_)