Job Market

Subject: Job Market
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:02:52 -0500

After reading the posts regarding jobs going to India, the uncertainty
of China, and the whole overseas discussion, I would like to ask about
the job market from a different perspective. Earlier this year when I
was looking for work, I submitted resumes to a number of tech writing
positions in Minnesota, Arizona, Colorado, and Montana. The replies I
got back from AZ, CO, and MT were mostly that they were looking only at
in-state residents. One of my sisters recently relocated her company to
South Carolina, and when she was speaking to the Chamber of Commerce,
she inquired about the local job market with me in mind, and the guy
told her the same thing. He said there were so many qualified candidates
in South Carolina, that many companies were not even considering
out-of-state applicants.

I was wondering if anyone else who may have been between jobs like me
noticed the same practice, or even if you were working knew about this
or something similar. To add to the frustration, I was told by more than
one company, that I was qualified and they would be happy to offer me an
interview, if I were living there, but I was not in a position to
relocate anywhere without having a job waiting for me at the end of the
line.

Anyway, I am not sure where I was going with this. There were a few
posts that mentioned local candidates and I suppose that is what got me
thinking about it again.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone

Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM) now with email
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...