Corrected: A few more words on the job market

Subject: Corrected: A few more words on the job market
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 08:10:45 -0400

Well, my test post was both garbled and truncated, but Eric graciously

requested that I repost it.

Folks,

In the heat of the moment yesterday I had some comments to add to the job market thread, but neither of the two messages I wrote made it to the techwr-l server. So here they are, combined and edited.

My impression is that when companies advertise that they want in-state or local applicants, what they're really saying is that (a) they won't pay relocation; (b) they want someone who can start pretty soon (not after a month of house-hunting, in other words); and (c); they want to be able to say "this isn't working out" after a few weeks without a lot of recriminations about the relocation expense incurred by the employee.

So if you can reassure a company on those three points ("I'm going to be staying with my sister to start and then I'll find my own place after we're sure this is going to work out," for example), a reasonable employer should consider your application.

One other thing that has not been brought up in this or the parent (India) thread:

Since the advent of economic civilization, people have migrated for employment opportunities. There is no natural right to stay where you are, continue to do the kind of work you are accustomed to, and continue to be paid as well as you used to be paid. Millions of people every year migrate for a better opportunity or a lower cost of living, whether from city to city or continent to continent.

Tech writing jobs moving to India? Maybe you'd enjoy living in India. Maybe your salary in India would afford you a richer lifestyle than it does in Seattle. Something to think about anyway.

My four cents.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]