Re: Job Market OT

Subject: Re: Job Market OT
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:04:10 -0500

"Oja, W. Kelly" wrote

Andrew Plato wrote:

>They don't. H_1b hiring has gone down significantly in the last few
years.
>When a company does hire an H_1b , they do so because they need a
special
>skill set and such skills are not readily available in the local
market.
>Tech writers are in ample supply right now thanks to the dot.com bust.
>Hence, it makes no sense to relocate a person (and pay the costs for
>relocation) when there are ample people locally who can fill the job.

My post was written in response to a high number of posts regarding
foreign workers and the practice of companies favoring local candidates
and not considering candidates outside of area whether it be because of
the high number of local candidates that are qualified, relocation
costs, etc.

>I realize its fun and very popular to blame employment woes on
foreigners,
>but honestly, they are not the problem. Tech writers are going to have
>come to the realization that this is a profession that is being rapidly
>commoditized. The skills that got you a high-paying job in 1999 won't
get
>you the same pay or respect today.

I have not in the past, and I did not in this thread bash foreigners on
anything. My post was once again written in response to many others. I
had commented that I was turned down for jobs in the spring simply
because my zip code was not in their local area. I, in no way, shape, or
form blamed foreigners for this. It may be just Monday morning, and I
may be overreacting, but I do not appreciate having my post pulled out
of the dozens on the subject and nailed up and hung out to dry,
especially given the fact that there is absolutely nothing in my part of
the post and the part I added that could be considered inflammatory.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone

Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM) now with email
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...