Re: PHD in Tech writing

Subject: Re: PHD in Tech writing
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 06:37:26 -0700 (PDT)

> Thus, a PhD in tech writing might be fun and
> interesting, but it is unlikely to
> make a person a better technical writer. It might
> make them very good at
> writing papers and defending theories. But in the
> real world, where things are
> chaotic and messy and nobody gives a crap about
> communication theories, those
> skills are almost a hindrance. They are so busy
> worried about theories and
> methods, they fail to learn the subject matter.

I agree, especially with Andrew's point about
writing-based PhD degrees vs. industry-based PhDs. I
have seen several job postings in the past year
looking for technical writers with Masters or PhDs in
specific fields (chem, bio, and physics). But I've
only ever seen one tech writing job posting asking for
a PhD in tech writing, and that was posted by a
research foundation.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com