Re: Technical writing - off site

Subject: Re: Technical writing - off site
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 06:10:32 -0700 (PDT)

[x-posted to techwoohoo to troubleshoot some
inbound/outbound snafu between Yahoo and Techwr-l.]

> a) I would like to know if any one is providing off
> site TWservices.

Sometimes.

> b) If yes,
> what kind of work do you get.

It's mostly the mindless stuff that can be done
anywhere:
* laying out a document
* template creation/migration
* editing
* graphics creation

> c) I would also like to know about changes and all.

Well, a curious thing happens when a man and a
woman... Oh, you're probably looking for a different
answer. ;) What changes?

> d) How do you reach your clients.

Phone, fax, e-mail, instant messages, letters,
occasional on-site visits... Whatever works.

I should note that, from my experience and from
talking with others who do some remote work, the
nature of the work and the writer's involvement is
very different than being on-site. You are quite
removed, and are measured and held accountable ONLY
for the work agreed upon. Very seldom do you have
input for change, and best practice advice is only
well received 50% of the time. Basically, as a remote,
you're being hired to perform a task and get it done.
You're most-often an accessory and not a key
contributor.

FWIW,

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com