RE: India - Wave of the Future - Evolve?

Subject: RE: India - Wave of the Future - Evolve?
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 07:18:06 -0700 (PDT)

I know what I hear from my family. My father is a RN,
and in his hospital there are about 20 nurses (of
which he's one) who are employed directly by the
hospital, and the rest (over 100) are brought in on
contract through a single agency. Despite doctors'
complaints that these contract nurses don't know
enough to even stay out of trouble, the hospital keeps
them on to fill the floors and balance the books in
the black. My father has seen 4 chief surgeons leave
for private practice in the past year alone (one of
these nurses caused the death of a patient by
administering the wrong dose of meds post-surgery).
These surgeons had been in chief roles at the hospital
for over 10 years each. They gave up quite a healthy
paycheck and retirement plan to remove themselves from
this problem, and given they're all over 55 years of
age, they probably won't have enough time to see a
provate practice through to fruition.

FWIW, what students know and what faculty know/reveal
are completely different from what is going on in the
real world.

--- "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com> wrote:

> Does Goober (or anyone else on the list) have a
> number source for that 80%
> "being outsourced to companies employing people with
> little to no nursing
> experience, because they can pay them $10-$15/hr?" I
> know someone looking
> into nursing who got a very different picture from
> fellow students.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com